HE IS NO FOOL
I’ve lost track of all the Sundays
The offering plates gone by
And as I gave my hard earned dollars
I felt free to keep my life
I talk about commitment
And the need to count the cost
But the words of a martyr show me
I don’t really know His cross
For he is no fool
Who gives what he cannot keep
To gain what he cannot lose
Yes, he is no fool
Who lays his own life down
I must make this the path I choose
Obedience and servanthood
Are traits I’ve rarely shown
And the fellowship of His sufferings
Is a joy I’ve barely known
There are riches in surrendering
That can’t be gained for free
God will share all heaven’s wonders
But the price He asks is me. JIM ELLIOT
- Saint Stephen, Protomartyr, was stoned c. 34 AD.
- James the Great (Son of Zebedee) was beheaded in 44 AD.
- Philip the Apostle was crucified in 54 AD.
- Matthew the Evangelist killed with a halberd (a combination of battle axe and spear) in 60 AD.
- James the Just, beaten to death with a club after being crucified and stoned.
- Matthias was stoned and beheaded.
- Saint Andrew, St. Peter’s brother, was crucified.
- Saint Mark the Evangelist, was dragged in the streets of Alexandria then beheaded
- Saint Peter, crucified upside-down.
- Apostle Paul, beheaded in Rome.
- Saint Jude
- Saint Bartholomew flayed alive and crucified.
- Thomas the Apostle was killed by a spear in Mylapore, Madras, India in AD 72.
- Luke the Evangelist was hanged.
- Simon the Zealot was crucified in 74 AD.